May 15, 2012

Afghan Food in San Carlos

om nom notes rating: 5 stars


Just had official Afghan food at Kabul Afghan Cuisine in San Carlos, CA for the first time and it was delicious! Wonderful service by the owner's daughter Michelle who took the time to explain her favorites. Lamb dishes were highly recommended but her favorite by far (since she was a child) was the "Sabsi Challaw" (lamb & spinach). For the veggie dishes, apparently the customer favorite was "Challaw Kadu" (pumpkin topped with yogurt). As always - the combination platter was the way to go for me to be able to try everything. Portion sizes were also hearty - enough for 2 with a little bit for leftovers. 

I think everyone gets served a simple salad to start their meal. Make sure you ask for the dressing on the side if you like light dressing as they put a lot of it on.

Michelle surprised us with a complimentary "Firnee" dessert which was so light and delicious. Highly recommended if you like pudding. Make sure to save room!

Sabsi Challaw - $14.95 
Very tender and well cooked lamb chunks! sort of like saag (without the heaviness and without the paneer), but with a subtle flavor profile difference. 

Sabsi Challaw from Kabul Afghan Cuisine
Sabsi Challaw: Cubes of lamb cooked with fresh spinach, onions, and garlic, served with challaw (white rice)

Vegetarian Platter - $12.95
I went for the 3 below as Michelle said the sabsi option (spinach) would taste pretty similar to the sabsi lamb dish above.
  • Kadu - Sauteed pumpkin topped with yogurt
  • Badenjah (My Favorite!) - Stew of eggplant cooked with onions, tomatoes, and herbs, topped with yogurt. Would reco getting this without the yogurt
  • Gulpi - Stew of cauliflower cooked with tomatoes, onions, fresh ginger and fine spices
Kadu, Badenjah, Gulpi from Kabul Afghan Cuisine
Vegetarian Platter: A combination of three items (my choices: Kadu, Badenjah, Gulpi), served with rice. 


Firnee - (will check for the price next time!)
Pudding made of milk, cardamon, rose water, and sliced almonds, topped with pistachios

Sorry I have no picture as it looked so delicious I went straight for a bite :( Make sure to stir everything together to get the almonds/pistachios/spices distributed throughout.


Kabul Afghan Cuisine
4.5 star rating
Yelp reviews from 05/14/12


NOTE: There is also a Kabul Afghan Cuisine in Burlingame I believe with the same menu. Can you believe there are 2 on the peninsula? yay!

2 comments:

  1. I have no image as it seemed so delightful I went immediately for a chew.The best uk site afghan cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat here every chance I get, the food is delicious! Sadly I live on the East Coast now so don't get the opportunity very often. However, every chance I get I return to San Carlos to catch up with my friends and, yes, eat at Kabul Afghan Cuisine!

    ReplyDelete