April 4, 2013

Sitka and Spruce, Seattle

I truly loved my meal at Sitka & Spruce, it was probably one of my favorite meals ever and most certainly my favorite sourdough. A simple Northwest cusine menu with fun, unique ingredients like stinging nettle or pickled fiddleheads - love! Fantastic service and I loved the open kitchen setting. The best seat in the house is at the communal table where you can watch the magic happen.

Make sure to make reservations in advance to not miss out. It's a favorite of locals and visitors!

What we ordered from their March 2013 menu:
  • Sourdough - This is NOT too be missed. I'm still sad that I failed at buying sourdough to bring home. It's available for purchase daily after 2pm, but apparently you have to get there exactly then or else they sell out. The bread is baked at their sister restaurant The Corson Building and it has this really great charred crispy crust with a soft, chewy tangy center. I dream about this sourdough.
  • Raw black cod, creme fraiche, warm potato, pickled fiddleheads - what a creative dish with a lot going on, but worked as a whole. The curliques are the pickled fiddleheads.
  • Gratin of artichokes, cream, wood sorrel & winter mushrooms - earthy, creamy with a bit of crunch. a bit heavy for me on its own but it's good for sharing.
  • Neah bay halibut with Whidbey kamut and stinging nettle - decided on the halibut over lamb, only because I really wanted to try stinging nettle. it worked out because I don't think i could have had the room for the lamb (though that was the host's reco)
  • Chinon, Les Pensees de Pallus 2010 - French Loire Valley wine that was similar to a very well structured cabernet franc, green bell peppery, herbaceous and held up well to our fish dishes
  • Gateau basque with poached figs - creamy custard center. get it even if you're full.
Can't wait to return, especially for the bread. Oh, and even better - they do seasonal menus so I'm sure there'll be something different next time!

See the full picture gallery here: http://on.fb.me/11tadWC
Neah bay halibut with Whidbey kamut and stinging nettle from Sitka & Spruce


No comments:

Post a Comment